A new consultation sets out Department for Transport’s proposed approach and principles to reach net zero aviation by 2050.
The ambition is outlined as decarbonising aviation in a way that preserves the benefits of air travel and maximising the opportunities that decarbonisation can bring.
A suite of policies are suggested to support industry to reduce and, where possible, eliminate carbon dioxide emissions from aviation.
These policies span five different measures that aim to:
- improve the efficiency of the aviation system
- accelerate the development and deployment of sustainable aviation fuels
- support the development of zero emission flight
- ensure we use markets to drive down emissions in the most cost-effective way
- influence the behaviour of consumers
This consultation will inform the final jet zero strategy.
Department for Transport welcomes views from all parts of the UK and recognise the important role that will need to be played by the sector, wider industry, academia, innovators and the public.
This consultation closes at
More information about this consultation and how to take part is available on the UK Government website.